Advice on Listening
- Act as if the speaker is the only person in the room. (even in a room full of people)
- Allow listening to be YOUR only action. No multi-tasking while listening.
- Watch the speakers eyes and face; you will be able to tell what the speaker thinks is most important through her expression.
- Listen without anticipation. Allow the speaker to state her thoughts, not what you think her thoughts are going to be.
- Allow the speaker to finish before responding.
- Listen without anticipating what your response to going to be. If you politely listen to someone, they will allow for a pause while you collect your thoughts.