Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Post Fifteen - One Thing



Do your work, and I shall know you. Do your work, and you shall reinforce yourself. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Take a moment, step back from your concerns, and focus on one thing: You have one life to achieve everything you’ve ever wanted. Sounds simple, but when you really focus on it, let it seep into your consciousness, you realize you only have about 100 years to get every single thing you’ve ever wanted to do. No second chances. This is your only shot. Suddenly, this means you should have started yesterday. No more waiting for permission or resources to start. Today is the day you make the rest of your life happen. Write down one thing you’ve always wanted to do and how you will achieve that goal. Don’t be afraid to be very specific in how you’ll achieve it: once you start achieving, your goals will get bigger and your capability to meet them will grow.
Publish my book. (Still unwritten)
It has to be the biggest cliché in the modern world, but I can't remember not thinking I was a writer.   I wrote stories when I was a teenager, I read zillions of books, I studied literature at university, I ran away to the country to write and I have completed three full length books and never had anything longer than one page published.  
My mum even called me a few weeks ago to remind me that she's still waiting to read my book and maybe nurse another grandchild.  I passed on the child and thought about the book again. 
The biggest problem I have writing these days is I can't seem to find the point.  There are SO many books to read. So many already published and so many of them are complete rubbish.  Do I really want to add mine to the pile. I'm not sure right now.  
This started as a post about something I've always wanted to do, and haven't. The fact is, I haven't had a lot of things I've wanted to do and if I have, I usually do them. The book thing is the only lingering hope from the past that I have. 
My son will be leaving for the summer, and it will leave me some more time to myself. I guess I could look into writing then. Not much of a plan, but I'm not really someone who likes to plan a lot. Sigh. This feels like a failed post, somehow.  I don't really resonate with a lot of the prompts. They all suffer from the assumption that the person writing doesn't already have their s&#t together and needs to be personally coached into getting their life into order. I'm finding it a bit boring...  But I did commit, so I will continue. 

1 comment:

thecatalanway said...

Excuse me but aren't there so many blogs and so many to read and so many that are rubbish? but you still write your posts and we read and I for one one am enriched. So....looking forward to your book K xxxx