Wednesday, October 1, 2008

If I told you once ..........

An advice blog is a dangerous thing to wave in front of my tired old eyes. I love to give good advice as does any old person, it makes up for our inability to set a bad example. I must admit that I have never been good at taking advice. Especially from those that need it so badly themselves.
When asked for my dollop of wisdom I usually rely on the Truman ploy. He expressed it like this, “I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. Good old Harry S Truman. I think I will ask my inner child what I want and then give it to me. My inner child says don’t call me an old person. Yeah. I’m going to go with that thought. Like the ancient Greek said, “Whom the Gods love die young.” A lot of people use that sentence to mean struck down in youth. I don‘t believe they meant that for a minute. I think they meant that if the Gods love you the spirit of youth is with you to the end of your days. It's nice to know that one can sit in the twilight and be silly about it. The Greeks chronology was of a more infinite kind not measured by watches.
Karl von Knebel once said, “He who can take advice is sometimes superior to him who can give it.” So I guess if you listen to yourself it is not such a bad idea. So my advice is turn off all the noise and listen. That thought is for all of us here… not just me beside myself. My advice for the whole world is: turn the volume down a couple of clicks.